Monday, October 18, 2010

Yet Another Syndrome



Hadrian had another gynecologist appointment last week. The good news is that all of her bloodwork turned out to be just fine! But, since the Provera did not cause her to start her period, Dr. Ursula wanted to get an ultrasound of Hadrian's ovaries. And, sure enough, the culprit was discovered. Hadrian's ovaries were covered in cysts. Hadrian definitely has Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. : (

So, she is now taking a round of Prometrium which is a stronger medicine to jumpstart her period. This diagnosis would also explain the severe acne that Hadrian randomly seemed to develop over the past 6 months. She has been to the dermatologist so that we can try to get her skin cleared up again.

With the antibiotics, acne medicine, and the Prometrium, Hadrian is struggling. She is exhausted. And, this morning, she got up for school, and was greeted with throwing up. She has felt crappy all day. The hormones are definitely giving her some side effects and are causing her to just plain out feel bad. And, still, no period. She will continue swallowing those pills to work on it, though!

Just add the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome to her Compartment Syndrome, and Hadrian is now just one big syndrome!! LOL. She has to be the strongest kid I know. She exemplifies the Chinese proverb "get knocked down 7 times, get up 8." She is digging deep to have what it takes to get up one more time!

Hadrian and I went with Haley and Austin to the Georgia National Fair in Perry on Monday. Just walking around the fair caused Hadrian severe leg pain! Her legs were killing her!! It is pretty sad when she is having a harder time than her mother getting around! I hope this is not just a fact of life for her now. : (

If so, it makes me sad to think about what a struggle everyday activities may be for her. I do alot of massaging on her calves at night . . . whatever it takes to get her through this.

My girls and I were recently at a wedding, and Hadrian was very aware of the big scars on her legs. This was the first time I have noticed her truly feeling self conscious about her legs. She said it didn't help that we all mentioned how obvious her scars looked while being in a dress. Sorry, Hadrian!! Those big scars still get to me. But, let me assure you that no scars will ever define you. You are beautiful . . . inside and out, with scars or without, no matter what!!




Hannah and Hadrian


Me and My Three Girls!


2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Could you please explain exactly what your legs felt like before you had the surgery? Because I think I am experiencing the same thing as you. About 8 months ago I was diagnosed with stress fractures in both shins, so I rested for a few months and was in a boot. They felt better after that but I just finished my school season, and played most of it through pain in my legs. They are at the point now where as soon as I start running there is pain. Also, my ankles and bottoms of my legs appear to be swollen. When I push on certain spots on the insides of my shins it feels like there is almost a bubble of water or something under my skin and it feels numb. When I run there is sharp pain in this area. I know that I have gotten kicked multiple times during soccer in that area, but I thought that was fixed from wearing the boot. Are these symptoms similar to what you had? I am in desperate need of advice because like you, I will be a senior next year and I am at the point where I can't run right now. Please help!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I found your blog extremely helpful!! I was diagnosed with compartment syndrome in April and I'm meeting with a surgeon in two weeks. I have a few questions about Hadrian's experience:

    Did she have all four compartments cut on each leg?

    How is she now? Would you consider her surgery a success? Is she able to pain free? If she has lingering symptoms, what are they and how tolerable are they?

    ReplyDelete